Take a look at the person next to you. What energy do you think they have? Are they the active sort or the laid-back type? Do they seem creative and intelligent? Do you think they’re calm and collected? People have different energies and in Ayurveda, these energies or doshas fall into one of three: vata, pitta, and kapha.
The 3 Doshas
According to Ayurvedic principles, the world consists of 5 elements: prithvi (earth), aakash (space), vayu (air), jala (water), and teja (fire). These elements combine to form the three doshas. And these doshas, in turn, influence a person’s mental, emotional, and physiological make-up.
Each person has different amounts of the three doshas. Some may be more vata and others more pitta or kapha. This uniqueness calls for Ayurvedic treatments that are specifically tailored to suit each person’s dosha. For example, what works for a vata type will not be suitable for a kapha individual and vice versa.
Similarly, there are no one-size-fits-all cosmetics. To enjoy the benefits of bath essentials, skincare, or face care, you need to choose products that align with your personal energy, and complement them with the right diet and exercise to keep your dosha in balance.
Before moving on to choosing these products, let’s take a look at what each dosha type is like.
Vata is associated with energy and movement. Made of space and air, it regulates muscle and tissue movement, breathing, and the heart. Vata-type individuals are slim, lively, and creative. They’re very flexible, are quick learners, and enjoy traveling. They also enjoy sunny weather.
When balanced, vatas will see their imaginations soar and their creativity enhance. However, when imbalanced, they have trouble sticking to routine and commitment. They can become flaky, anxious, and have trouble sleeping. They can also be prone to indigestion, cold limbs, and dry skin.
To offset these negatives, vata types should consume warm and oily foods and drinks and try to maintain a warm body temperature. They should avoid carbonated drinks, frozen foods, and raw fruits and vegetables.
Cosmetics for Vata Types
Since vata types tend to have dry skin, they also develop fine lines and wrinkles. They age faster, especially when imbalanced. To restore balance, it’s important to choose hydrating cosmetics that nourish from deep within.
- Rockside Khadi’s Sandalwood Massage Cream is infused with almond oil and vitamin E oil that moisturizes the skin to give it a youthful appearance. Suitable for all age groups, it can be used in the morning and night for the best results.
- Rockside Jasmine Moisturizing Lotion is another great product as it keeps skin soft and supple. With moisturizing and antiseptic qualities, it minimizes fine lines and promotes younger-looking skin.
Pitta, which is composed of fire and water, is linked with the body’s metabolic processes. These include digestion, body temperature, nutrition, and assimilation. Pitta types are competitive, motivated, bold, and adventurous. They thrive in hot weather.
Pitta individuals boast athletic and muscular builds with healthy skin and hair. They are intelligent, understanding, and quick learners. When out of balance, they can be moody and impatient. They can find it hard to deal with stressful situations.
To bring the dosha into balance, pitta types should consume cooling foods like lime, watermelon, ghee, and avocado. They should stay away from hot and spicy food to reduce inflammation and acidity. They should also make it a point to never miss meals otherwise they may become irritable.
Cosmetics for Pitta Types
While pitta types are blessed with good skin and hair, they can be prone to sun sensitivity, tanning, and acne. Like their diet, they need cooling cosmetics that temper their fiery energy.
- Rockside Khadi Face Pack Neem uses the soothing properties of Fullers Earth, neem, tulsi, kachoor, camphor, and neem to nourish the skin and protect it from harmful UV rays. It should be used twice a week for the best results.
- Rockside Khadi Herbal Face Wash Cucumber Tea Tree & Lemon is excellent for oily skin and acne. Daily use in the morning and night can help prevent pimples, especially when combined with a pitta-healthy diet.
Kapha governs the body’s structure including the bones, muscles, and fat. Composed of earth and water, kapha types embody the characteristics of these elements. They are steady, deliberate, slow, strong, and with good endurance.
When in balance, they are calm, tolerant, and act as support systems for other people. However, when imbalanced they can become possessive, envious, stubborn, and inactive.
Kapha types do best with diets that incorporate plenty of vegetables and less meat. They need foods that invigorate and should avoid heavy items as they have a tendency to gain weight.
Cosmetics for Kapha Types
Kapha types are fortunate to have smooth skin and thick, strong hair. However, they need to make sure that they maintain a healthy skincare and haircare routine as they can become prone to acne and blackheads. Hair can also get oily quickly.
We at Rockside khadi recommend:
- Rockside Khadi Face Tone Herbal Face Pack Orange is made up of 100% natural ingredients like neem, aloe vera, turmeric, and kachoor that helps prevent pimples, blackheads, and other skin disorders. The addition of camphor leaves a protective layer on the skin that absorbs UVA and UVB rays. Use it twice a week for the best results.
- Rockside Khadi Neem Aloevera Scrub Herbal Soap is a glycerin-based herbal soap scrub with extract of neem, basil, aloe vera, and walnut granules that remove dead skin cells, enhance blood circulation, and prevent acne. It’s gentle enough to be used daily.
Cosmetics that align with your energy type work far better than those that are meant for other doshas. Rockside Khadi’s selection of products is designed for each dosha in mind. Made of natural ingredients and recipes passed on from the ancient Ayurvedic era, they rejuvenate all five senses with the purity and freshness of the wild. They are also cruelty-free and vegan, making them ideal for today’s eco-conscious consumer.